Saturday, February 23, 2008

Come in. Stay awhile.

Friends, I want to welcome you to this, my first attempt at blogging. I hope that it will not be in vain, that you will find something worth your time, that you will pull up a chair and stay awhile.

I am now settled in my new city. Palm trees line many of the streets. Flowers are starting to bloom on neighboring fences which serve as a daily reminder of the heat that is coming all too quickly. On clear days, we can climb on our roof and see the mountains in the distance. It's a beautiful, interesting, strange place.

With all its beauty, it can be difficult to live with the daily reality that it is dark here...very dark. And maybe I'm only aware of the beauty because I've only been here for a grand total of 6 weeks. They call it the "honeymoon" stage. Culture shock is a few short months away, I'm sure. I hope that each day, He will allow me to see the beauty and the darkness. Both are essential, vital, if I am going to make it here.

The past few weeks have been filled with travel, finally getting settled in, and a lot of language. Haley and I visited two different villages about a day after I arrived here. The visits proved to be beneficial and I think that we will go back to at least one of these places to tell more stories in the future.

I have been so abundantly provided for in my new home. Meeting new brothers and sisters and being so warmly welcomed into their homes and families has been such a sweet gift. I thank you for standing in the gap for me and lifting up my needs. Your partnership is so valuable. And what you do is so important. With that said, I hope you will stop by often. Leave a message if you feel so inclined. Make yourself at home!

5 comments:

Michael said...

Katelyn, I came across your blog and just wanted to say hi. Hope things are going well in SA. Seems like they are. Things are good here in BKK, T-land. Just trying to get this language down! :-) Anyway, just lifting you up. Take care and Roll Tide!

Jenn Stratton said...

Katelyn! I saw where you posted this on your facebook! I'm excited to hear about all you are doing! Take care and I'll be thinking about you!
~Jenn Stratton

Simply Living Life said...

YAY you got a blogspot!!! Hopefully you will have a ton of great pics to put on here.

Unknown said...

KATELYN!! thank you so much for sharing!! i can't wait for what is to come! i'm lifting you up. i'm so excited for you! love and miss you lots.

ldymond said...

Katelyn, I just read you update and cannot help but have tears in my eyes. Both missing you tears and proud of you tears. I know that I have told you before how proud I am of you but you need to know that I hope my daughters grow up and have the same heart as you do. Anna, Caroline, Holly and I love you very much! Please know that when we talk to Dad we mention your name.

I hope that we can skype you very soon.

His Grace, His Glory
-Lee