Okay, I know you're probably wondering...did anything funny happen? Well, I'm glad you asked. The first night as I was in the kitchen with my language helper and her sister, her father comes in and asks me to come outside for a minute. I follow him right outside the kitchen and he asks me to sit down. He tells me that I should wash my feet and then I can eat. (Just a brief aside: I had been given a "heads up" on what to expect culturally when I went to the village, and this feet-washing thing was not included in any info I had received). I sit down and start to wash my feet, but because I am a foreigner, of course, I am not doing it right. So (you guessed it) he starts to wash my feet. A man that I had just met about 12 hours ago is now washing my feet. One word: Awkward. I tried to take them back and wash my own feet, but he wasn't having it. Needless to say, I felt much better eating my dinner knowing that my feet were so fresh and so clean. The rest of my time was spent visiting various places around her village, hanging out with the villagers and telling them about myself and...eating. Below are some pictures of the villagers.
I met up with Haley and some other friends in the city on Saturday and we spent the rest of our time doing touristy things, eating chocolate and banana pancakes, chicken fingers, and mac and cheese, and trying to figure out where all the non-nationals were from (apparently the shoes are a dead giveaway). Haley and I returned to our home city on Sunday and back to city life we went.
This past Saturday, we had a girls day and Haley, Brenn, and I went to get our eyebrows threaded. Have any of you heard of this before? (Picture below) Basically they take thread and twist it up and then they thread it over your eyebrow and the hairs get caught in the thread and out they come. Slightly more painful that waxing, but I have to say, I think I like it better. It's strangely accurate. We spent the rest of our time cooking, breaking it down, watching American TV (on DVD) and just having a really good time.
Thank you for asking Him for me. I thank you for your continued diligence and support. Blessings!
4 comments:
Okay so between the two of us I think we could raise our eyebrows a good half foot.
so good to read your news! sounds like your days are full and fun. i love your hair!! did you do that before you left the states? it's a great cut for you. and your eyebrows...wow, very accurate. you can keep your thread away from mine, though, thank you very much. miss you!
Dear Katelyn
Enjoyed the blog. Keep the news coming. You look well. Love Shannon
i can't believe the eyebrow thing!! crazy!! glad to hear things are going well. and i also love your hair. lifting you up! He is your help!
Post a Comment