Monday, October 13, 2008

Oh Spidey

The three of us headed north for a training a couple of weeks ago.  D and I had the privilege of staying at the YMCA for the few days that we were in the city.  The following story is what happened on our first night there:  We were trying to get settled, get our sleeping bags situated, have iPods and books by the bed, the whole nine.  As I was leaning back on the bed, getting ready to relax, I spotted out of the corner of my eye, quite possibly, the largest spider I had ever seen wandering free (ie. not it in a cage or on TV).  I jumped up with cat-like reflexes and began to shout something fairly indecipherable to D who was still on the bed.  Once she figured out why I was shouting, she was up pretty quick too.  The next ten minutes were spent trying to figure out what exactly to do.  Can we take care of this ourselves? (Obviously not).  Is it alive?  (Turned out to be a big YES after we shook the mattress and Spidey scurried up the wall, followed by our screams).  Should we call someone?  (Yes, absolutely).  So that's what we did and our Brother, Joey, came with one of the guys who worked at the YMCA and he took care of Spidey with a broom and a newspaper.  Here are the commemorative pictures of Spidey before his life tragically and necessarily ended. 

Where I first saw Spidey, right next to my mattress, concocting a plan, no doubt, to crawl into my ear and set up house. 
The close up shot, after we scared him and he crawled up on the wall. 
Our first and last shot together.  That may look like a smile on my face, but is really pure fear.
Hope you enjoyed him as much as we did.  More to come later...

No comments: